WRIGHT TWP. — Crestwood School District Superintendent Robert Mehalick and Business Manager Peter Bard both submitted their resignations to the School Board at Thursday’s monthly meeting. The board approved unanimously, with President Barry Boone praising the work of both men, saying Mehalick’s deep care for the district “goes unchallenged,” and that Bard “led the district from the brink of bankruptcy to stable ground.”
Mehalick accepted a job as assistant superintendent at Hazleton Area School District, while Bard is going to Susquenita School District in Perry County as assistant to the superintendent for finance. Boone said Bard got an offer Crestwood couldn’t match, and Bard said his new salary will be $32,500 more than his current one.
Bard’s Crestwood contract calls for 90 day notice, so his last day will be April 17. Mehalick’s contract requires at least 60-day notice, but he said he will stay longer if needed to assure a smooth transition for the next superintendent. The process of finding a new person should begin Friday, he added.
The board also voted to keep any property tax increase within the state limit known as the Act 1 Index. For the 2022-23 fiscal year, Crestwood’s Act 1 index is 4.2%. The vote does not mean there will be any tax increase. It gives the board until May 30 to draw up and approve a preliminary budget.
The board also:
• Approved an agreement to use Forecast5 Analytics at an annual cost of $10,900, prorated to $4,190. Forecast5 touts itself as helping schools use data to create budgets, model scenarios and “make strategic decisions to optimize student outcomes.”
• Accepted the resignation of Fairview Elementary Music Teacher Kim Meckes.
• Appointed Jennifer Boone as long-term substitute for the rest of the school year. Barry Boone recused himself from the vote.
• Appointed Paula Mohutsky as Fairview Elementary music teacher at $51,253, Melissa Fisher as part-time para educator at $16.75 per hour after a 60 day probationary period at 10% less, April McKeown as part-time custodian at $17.32 per hour after a 60 day probationary period, and Florence Rowski as part-time General Food Service worker at $17.53 per hour after a 60-day probationary period.
• Appointed Joseph Tattersall as head varsity volleyball coach at $4,408, and Sara Meyers as head varsity field hockey coach at $8,072
Reach Mark Guydish at 570-991-6112 or on Twitter @TLMarkGuydish